Pool Safety and Automatic Safety Pool Covers
Having a swimming pool can provide the ultimate experience in backyard family fun. A pool is also a great responsibility. Each year hundreds of children are killed or seriously injured in swimming pool accidents, most of which could have been prevented if a safety pool cover was in use.
- Drowning is the second leading cause of unintentional injury death to children under age 5
- Nearly half of child drowning victims were last seen in the house
- Most drowning victims were missing for 5 minutes or less before being discovered in the pool and were being supervised by one or both parents (who were momentarily distracted by routine household activities)
- Drowning is swift and silent. There is no splashing sound or cries for help
- There is NO substitute for Adult Supervision
- Most counties require minimum fencing requirements for swimming pools. However multiple layers of protection are recommended, including Automatic Safety Pool Covers that meet the ASTM 1346-91 and are UL listed. Some counties are even recognizing Automatic Safety Covers that meet these requirements to be used in lieu of fencing as a primary barrier.
- An Automatic Safety Pool Cover acts as a "horizontal fence" when covered over a pool. Traditional fences can be climbed by most children and only "deter" access to the yard. A pool covered with an Automatic Safety Pool Cover is the best way to prevent access to the water. Alarms and fencing provide multiple layers of protection, but do not physically block access to the water.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) launched Pool Safely: Simple Steps to Save Lives, a national public education campaign to reduce childhood drowning, submersion injuries and entrapments. Below is a Pool Safely Educational Video:
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission flyer on Preventing Child Drowning
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission flyer on Safety Barrier Guidelines for Home Pools
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission - Drowning incidents for the 2010 summer swimming season
ASTM F1346-91 (Standard Performance Specification for Safety Covers)
UL Certificate (Swimming Pool and Spa Cover Operators, Electric)